Hei konā rā Aotearoa



Even though I still have one more day in New Zealand, I would use this time to say: Hei konā rā, Aotearoa. What a ride the past two and a half years have been. I came here with expectations and nothing that I expected about this country was true, except that I knew I would love my time here. I feel that being able to reside here for so long has given me an appreciable sense of independence and growth as an individual.

I have met some people who I know I will be friends with probably for the rest of my life. Not to mention the amazing experiences that they have given and shared with me. I have also had some great lecturers for my undergraduate degree. There have been some rough times and some smooth sailing, but overall I have no complaints. So thank you to my parents for allowing me to stay here for so long. I have missed you, but some things you just gotta do.



Last night was my final hurrah in Auckland. This morning, the 2 beer "hangover" was treated with a trip to the Chocolate Boutique in Parnell with Morgane and Hannah, followed by an afternoon of walking around Auckland CBD and trying to get myself to realize that I'm leaving. I bought some NZ wool to keep myself busy while I am sitting in LAX for 9 hours, anxiously waiting for my flight to DTW.

Yes, I am excited to go home and see family and friends. So much that I forget that I'm not just going away for a month, I'm moving away now. My time in NZ is complete and it's time to move on to the next adventure. Back to the Mitten until August 10, and then the new journey begins in Bergen, Norway. It will be very different from New Zealand, but nevertheless, I am very eager to see how it goes.

It appears I will be missed...


Comments

  1. I love you so very much. You are in my thoughts and in my heart daily. You never really "left", you "went". Life is a gift to you because of a precious appreciation of your journey. You will never "leave" New Zealand because it is now a part of you--of who you are. The Navajo believe that children are a gift and not their own, but a part of them that "makes us whole". You have made us whole. The world is a better place because of you. Thank you. Love to you, my darling daughter, Dad (Poppy)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pancho is 6 months and I'm finally published!

This week on M/S Brennholm

Smalahove