The gannet colony

Saturday was a day at Muriwai Beach. Not to go swimming or sun bathe, it's too cold for that still. But instead it was to count the gannets at the local colony and study their behavior. It was very interesting to observe the meanings behind their behaviors. Watching birds will never be the same. Our recorded population counts had to be accurate because the Auckland Regional Council uses them to keep an eye on population dynamics. I also managed to get lots of bird poop on me. But on a bright note, I saw a seal! I wasn't embarrassed on the trip about all the bird pooh on me, but once I got back to the city I started to get a little self-conscious. All part of being a biologist though!

[The seal]
[Covered in bird poop!]
[Beautiful Muriwai gannet colony site]

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pancho is 6 months and I'm finally published!

This week on M/S Brennholm

Smalahove