Bergenfest, Birkebeinerløpet and road trip

Work on the van has been slow, but we don't want to feel stressed with the project either. We want it to be fun!

So far we have put in a new sub-floor on top of some insulation as well as one wall. Before we put up the other walls and ceiling, we have to wait to hear back from an electrician if they can put together the wiring for the lights, solar panels and leisure battery (needs to be done by a registered electrician according the the Road Authority).

Nevertheless, we took the van on its first long-distance trip on Friday to Lillehammer for our trail race!

On Wednesday and Thursday, I  went to Bergen's main music festival, Bergenfest. I missed out on Friday and Saturday due to the race, but I was not disappointed. My highlights included Bon Iver, Ryan Bingham, Moyka (fun fact: Idar's sister sings back up), The Tallest Man on Earth, Novo Amor, Charlie Cunningham and Barns Courtney. We already bought tickets for next year!

Idar's sister, Ingrid (to the right), on stage at Bergenfest

Thursday was so much fun that we didn't sleep til 5AM, and then we woke up at 1PM and had to pack for our drive to Lillehammer. With the van, we slept in the gas station parking lot. We packed our sleeping bags and camping pads and actually really enjoyed our first sleep in the beast. Pancho seemed to really enjoy it too (we were worried he might bark at night, but he didn't make a sound)!

The next morning I woke up with a stomach ache, but luckily it passed. However, 30 minutes before the race I walked through weeds to get to a path down to the stadium and it was full of stinging nettles. A spot on my leg, about the size of my cellphone swelled up and looked like a massive blister. It was stinging, tingling and burning. We warmed up a little before the race and I was happy that my stomach felt a lot better. Idar and I ran together the whole way, but I was not very happy with how slow I felt like I was running. With other priorities this year, I did not manage to train for this race as much as I probably should have.

At kilometer 13 I lost focus, tripped and landed on my knee. It was pretty painful, but I managed to sort of keep running after walking it off. Idar started to feel dizzy, and he drank water as often it was offered along the course. We finished the race hand-in-hand after 2 hours and 14 minutes. When I ran the race last time, I finished in 1 hour 52 minutes. Still, I was proud of Idar for running the longest distance he has ever run and enjoying the race, and I was proud of myself for toughing it out after a tumble.

Primitive set up in the van...can't wait to get a mattress in there

Post-race smile

After a shower and some food, we got back in the van and started driving back towards Bergen. We stayed the night in the mountains near Tyinkrysset. Pancho was able to run around while we made some dinner before settling in for the night. We took the scenic route back to Bergen; visiting Borgund stave church and Stegasteinen view point in Aurland.

It was quite a packed weekend, but with a great pace and a nice way to test out the van. We love it!

Night 2 in our van at Eidsbugarden (in the mountains past Tyinkrysset)

Borgund Stavkirkje

Stegastein viewpoint

Aurlandsfjord



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pancho is 6 months and I'm finally published!

This week on M/S Brennholm

Smalahove